Animal Control

Domesticated Animals

The Village of Midlothian has an animal control officer and will respond to calls regarding domesticated animals within the Village of Midlothian boundaries if a resident has them contained. The animal will be transported to the Animal Welfare League facility in Chicago Ridge or to P.A.W.S. in Tinley Park.

The owner of the animal shall be responsible for any impoundment fees that accrue and must make such payment at the P.A.W.S facility or  Animal Welfare Facility prior to release of the animal. Animals are euthanized (at AWL only) if not claimed or adopted under the policies and procedures of the Animal Control League.

Wild Animals

The Village will provide animal control assistance for rodents and wild animals on public and private property IF the animal is injured or poses a health or safety threat.

If assistance is needed for removal of a wild animal that is not injured or a risk to human safety, residents can contact Have a Heart Wildlife at 708-534-8801 

It is illegal to possess, trap, destroy or relocate a wild animal without a permit. If you have found an animal in need of care or have a conflict with a wild animal, contact a wildlife rehabilitator in your area for help. For a list of licensed rehabilitators in Illinois, visit the Department of Natural Resources website and search by county.

Injured, sick, and orphaned wild animals will need to be trapped for transport to a licensed rehabilitator. If the animal is small enough or safe to handle, an inexperienced person can use gloves and a towel, blanket, net or box to catch the animal and place it in a secure container. It is important to keep the animal in a warm, dark and quiet place to reduce the stress of capture. Do not feed the animal. Feeding an injured or sick animal can cause severe and even life-threatening complications. Instead, bring the animal to a rehabilitator as soon as possible so it can be properly examined and treated. If the animal is too large, active or dangerous to handle, call a rehabilitator for help.

Do not approach a wild animal unless you are comfortable doing so, know how to handle it and understand its defenses.  All wild animals can be dangerous- even those that appear harmless or severely debilitated. An animal that bites someone may need to be euthanized for rabies testing, so take proper precautions for your own sake as well as the animal’s.

It is not true that a wild mother will not take her babies back after they have been touched by humans; she will take them back!


Traps are available for residents to rent, typically for a 2-week period, for the purpose of trapping animals on their property. There is a deposit fee of $75 per trap and is payable at the Village Hall, between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm.  The Village Hall staff will then direct you to the Public Works Department to pick up the trap.

When an animal/rodent is caught, please call the Cook County Animal Control office @ 708-974-6140.  

Please Note:  We will not retrieve skunks from property, regardless of whether they are contained or not.